Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Past by Brittany Overheu

So quiet in the abandon house down the stone walk way
The trees cover the house with its leaves
The over grown grass cover the foot steps laid in the mud
I come to this house every now and then
I sit on the dinning room chair with dust on the floors
I stare out the window hoping no one will find me
The house hidden in the woods
I find refuge
The windows are not clear but I trust them
The floors cover with dust I know there is a wood floor underneath
I never want to leave the silence
There is no light with the chandler hanging above my head
But I rather the lights not be on
As I sit in this chair I wonder when this house was a home
Was there a cracking fire with a family sitting around with smiles trying to get warm
Or was this house a hell for a family, fights and screams for the children having to endure
How many people have sat in this spot
I imagine classic music playing in this old wooden house
Hold on, whats that I see
The dark wood floors are stained with tears
The pink and blue flower wallpaper walls are painted with happiness
The lace curtains over the kitchen window draped with memories that no one will keep
I sit here in this chair, alone
I never want to leave
I can hear the wind calling my name
But I want things to stay the same
My body shifted towards the door
My foot steps making creaks on the floor
I reach for the glass door knob
With motions so few my eyes shut
Sun in my face, wind in my hair
My eyes slowly opened to something new
Flowers in bloom, trees swaying with the wind, nature it sings
If I was stuck in that house I would not be able to enjoy these wonderful things
I picked up my white long summer dress
Ran in the grass and stone path bare foot
Found myself on top of a hill
Laid down with the sun down beaming on me
Night falls, I counted the stars, fell asleep on the grass underneath me
Woke up to find myself in the house again
I peaked out the stained window blowing off the dust
The grass over grown, dead tree leaves covered the sky
I sat back down in the chair with a stare
Held my head in my hands
Tears filled my eyes
"Only a dream!" I yelled
With the fury in me got up
Tore down the flower wallpaper off the walls
I took the broom and swepped the dusty floors
Yanked the curtains off the wall
Took a rag and wiped the dirty windows
Looked down to what I was wearing
There was no dress but a tee and jeans
Still barefoot but all this but inside didn't change
I went towards the door once more
Felt the glass knob against my hand
This time no hesitation
Even though this would question my sanity
As the door open the sun again on my face
Instead of running out the door
I looked back into the house
The house was a home
Cream walls with family pictures
Fireplace with a crackling fire
Windows are clear
I am so confused, I thought
But all I had to do is add light to this house
I was stuck and didn't want to move
But now I know this house holds me back
It holds me something from greater things
I want to experience this life and not be stuck in this house no more

No comments:

Post a Comment